Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC84lipWz8oYs3pCUpfK3w8A/videos

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Drawing...Baby Steps

Art Technique: Drawing


It's true. Most of my work will not be museum quality.  But it is all valid.  Whether we learn a new technique that we wish to try later or what NOT to do next time, the process is important.  Taking baby steps is a natural part of life and is the journey that forms you as an artist.

  I posted some faces on this site  n the final night of the 29 Faces Challenge in February that I might not normally show. (Faces 21-25)  They were done too quickly, and for the purpose of finishing up  a deadline...which I came short of  by four compositions.   Focusing on "getting done" is neither enjoyable nor productive in my art.  I need to experience the joy of creating.  I learned what NOT to do.  Hopefully, I will carry this lesson with me in the future.

In the Day 1 photo below I used only my harder graphite pencil, a 4H. Had I stopped here I would have been very displeased with this drawing, but it was only the first step.I  And I knew when I stopped that the drawing needed more work.



Day 1


.

I think it is important here to mention value.  Not price or worth....value is the lightness and darkness in a composition.  Many of my students try to stop at the Day 1 stage of drawing.  I always ask them to represent three stages of value in thier drawings.  Light, Medium, Dark.  The drawing above is light and medium values, only two stages.

Next Morning

The next morning I came back to it fresh and used my softer leaded pencils to complete the face.   By adding a third dark value in your drawings you can create emphasis and depth.   Hint: The kneaded eraser is a great drawing tool, especially for softer effects, such as areas in the hair and feather.





To purchase, contact Linda at studioabsee@yahoo.com for price and details.

No comments:

Post a Comment