Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC84lipWz8oYs3pCUpfK3w8A/videos

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

My Mother...








Taking a break from my art today to pay a tribute to the most important female in my life.  This is my mother, a true redhead, with the kindest heart for children.



Recently our local newspaper asked on facebook who our favorite all time teacher 

was...Hands down, it was my mother, Lawanda Davis. She was my teacher before I 

ever entered a schoolroom. Long before she obtained her teaching degree to teach 

handicapped children (when we attended college side by side) my mother was my 

teacher as well as a teacher to the kids in our neighborhood. 


She was always doing little things for kids. She built forts with sheets under our 

dining table. Helped us set up lemonade stands and drink the leftover lemonade! 

Hosted Halloween parties, that still hear about when I meet up with old 

friends today. She helped kids do their homework at our house when she realized 

they had no help at home.  When neighborhood mothers 

wanted to take a nap or go shopping they sent their children to our house to "visit" 

because they knew my mom would watch after any child in her presence. 

I don't think my mother knew what a nap was and shopping was for milk and bread! 


I would often come home and find my friends with Mom 

because they had a problem they wanted to ask her about. That went on from 

childhood through adulthood, and particularly in college, when my friends faced 

things they did not even want to share with me. When I shared troubles or concerns 

with her, she would ask, "Do you want my help with this? or my opinion? or do you 

want me to just listen?" 


Often I said, "yes." and her advice and wisdome still rings in 

my ears today. If I declined her offer, she understood that I just needed a sounding 

board. You cannot imagine how much I want to talk with her, especially on days like 

today, I would sure like to have her here beside me, but she is still with me in my 

heart. She was the most awesome MOM ever. I know lots of people say that about 

their mothers, but I feel it every single day as I continue to hear the lessons she 

taught me. 


I love you and miss you more than you can know, my sweet "Monda."

No comments:

Post a Comment